Sunday, June 24, 2007

THE FORTY WINKS STORY…

Fifth. That was the fifth cup of espresso I was having. Never before was I so dependent on espresso for relieving my rampant thoughts! Fifth? I never had so much espresso in my entire life in one take. That too within interval of 15 minutes! It soothed me. Really. The strong and hot effect made my head clear of all the thoughts and soothed the churning effects I was having in my stomach from the past one-hour.

I was waiting. Waiting since the past hour. The jukebox was luckily playing some really delightful songs. End of Stairway to heaven start of Hotel California.

On my left was this couple canoodling from what seemed like ages!! Holding hands, staring at each other the same way I was to my seat in front of me, but I was sans emotions. An elderly woman was on my right. There was this peculiarity about her that I noticed. There were freckles on her skin but instead of marring her beauty they made her beautiful! Otherwise the café was empty apart from the workers. I asked for a sixth cup. The attendant eyed me as if eyeing a drug addict who was going on asking for another sniff!! What is it to do with him? He’s here only for doing his work. He went towards the café counter and placed the order. Even the man there saw me as if there was some zombie sitting in front of him and asking him to grant his blood so that I could drink his blood. No I want coffee!!!

He came in. Eyes. It was his eyes I saw first. There was something in them. Something I was desperate to know and he was desperate to tell. My brother? I never saw him like this!

“It’s raining pretty bad outside” he said.
“Oh, I didn’t notice actually. Now tell me. I have been waiting here for one hour.”
“Six? You had six espressos?”
“That’s unimportant. Talk.”
“I did it again”
“What?”
“Stop the time”
“No one can stop time. No one. So just don’t kid. Tell me what’s wrong?”
“I can and I did. I really did. It’s impossible to believe but its true.”
“Ok. If you have called me here to tell me this crap I am leaving. Is this some kind of sick joke you wanna play?”
“I am serious. Damn serious. You will have to believe me. Please. Its only you who can help me.”
“What help do you want from me? I can’t do anything for this. Really.”
“See only you know about this. And I can’t possibly tell anyone.”
“So what do you want from me?”
“Nothing just get me rid of this power.”
“How?”
“By taking it.”
“You sound like some prophet. This is all nincompoop and I am believing you.”
“Coz you have to. It does contain some truth.”
“Go on.”
“See, either you take it or help me destroy it.”
“Ok. I won’t take it but I can help destroy it. Tell me how”
“Just stop dreaming.”
“Huh?”
“Pinch yourself you are dreaming. Just stop it.”
“No I am not. I am not dreaming.”
“I am telling you. I stopped time when you were dreaming and I entered your dream. This is why the dream isn’t ending. Now I have released time. All you have to do is break the dream. When you break your dream, you will return to the place where you were sleeping and I will be a free bird.”
“But why the hell did you have to enter my dream?”
“I don’t have an answer for that.””Ok can I pinch myself now? By the way where am I when I am seeing this dream?”
“Dunno.”
************************************************************************************
I pinch myself and wake up to find myself in Barista. And how? Sleepy eyed. It takes time for me to remember why I was here. Oh yes my brother. I am here to meet him. I see in front of me are five espressos. Huh???? How did I manage to SLEEP after having espressos?
He enters.
“Hey look at your eyes. Have you been sleeping all the while??”
“Didn’t you tell me you had powers of stopping the time? You had entered my dream.”
“Jeez!! U have gone nuts. What are you talking about? I am here to discuss my project on time management with you dear!!”
“Time management? Same thing.”
______________________________*********__________________________________

26 Comments:

At June 26, 2007 at 7:43 PM , Blogger DAB said...

good one manisha .. seems like its really true .. is it ?? well u have changed a lot in this one year manisha .. will be glad to meet you when i come back to India

 
At June 26, 2007 at 7:44 PM , Blogger DAB said...

very well written manisha keep it up.. i mean you have changed a lot since we last met in india . Will be glad to see you when i come back..And what else is going on 12 th vacation

 
At June 26, 2007 at 8:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

NICE ONE YAAR.UR IMAGINATION KA JAWAB NAHI.BT WONT IT B NICER IF U EXPLAIN UR BROTHERS POWERS IN DETAIL

 
At June 27, 2007 at 1:11 PM , Blogger DEVENDRA said...

I think u should start in the field of literature or something else than CA.You got such a good capability of imagination & a perfect way to depict them to others.A very smart talented Mannu is hidden behind the simple looking doesnt know ne thing gal.

 
At June 29, 2007 at 2:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

M fond of any plot wch consists of a dream. So, hard to cricize this one. Totally identified with the male-bashing one.
Evr givn a thought to publishing?

 
At June 30, 2007 at 10:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good concept and nice use of words, use of special words emphasize the facts more. keep it up.
Shivendra

 
At July 8, 2007 at 6:27 PM , Blogger AG said...

hey
thanks for stopping by my blog
i guess we got quitea few things in comman lolz
not everybody has the ability to put out crap in such a way ,i guess v both got this innate power
keep up the good work

 
At July 8, 2007 at 6:27 PM , Blogger AG said...

hey
thanks for stopping by my blog
i guess we got quitea few things in comman lolz
not everybody has the ability to put out crap in such a way ,i guess v both got this innate power

keep up the good work

 
At July 9, 2007 at 7:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool..nice n warm stories..well done mani. simple but clever way to express ur ideas..tc

 
At July 11, 2007 at 4:33 PM , Blogger Zahid said...

@ UR BLOG

Very nice….Great piece of (shall I say)..Thoughtz…...

I love rain bcoz it comes from heaven.
I hate rain bcoz it falls on hell…(we have made earth hell,havent we?)

At the risk of calling you an insomniac….it is not a bad word..

And i beleive you feel your horoscope is true coz u r empathic kind of human who can relate tjo different and diverse situations....

Chk out my blog www.flavorz.blogspot.com

 
At July 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM , Blogger Amandeep Singh said...

Amazing...this was something I ve read in a long time..loved it!
So what was the inspiration...
lemme make a guess..
Sitting in Barista?
or what..do tell!

 
At July 12, 2007 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Amandeep Singh said...

And I mus say thank you for goin thru my blog and pwnning down so many comments..
How did u land in there..:o...lol

 
At July 12, 2007 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Shantanu said...

Hey, nice one!
Do I know you, by any chance? Your profile doesn't say much

 
At July 13, 2007 at 12:33 PM , Blogger Phoenix said...

Pretty nice one. Been quite a time since i didnt expect the end of the stories-with-a-twist.
Nice descriptions, and actually funny too :)

Why dont u title ur stories??

 
At July 15, 2007 at 9:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

waiting for the approval of what u might've rejected (hopefully not)...

 
At July 16, 2007 at 12:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,Manisha..
dat was amazing-especially yr writin style.
I just loved d way in which u hav started dis one.D beginin was successful in gluin me 2my seat.
Keep it up!!!

 
At July 16, 2007 at 8:15 PM , Blogger manisha said...

@anon....

lemme kno who r u n den v ll hv a gud debate...u r a chauvinist...proud of ur male ego...creepy thng......jus temme who u r

 
At August 2, 2007 at 5:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. You had visited my earlier blog. I now write at www.rohmen.wordpress.com.

Nice tale!

 
At August 22, 2007 at 1:43 PM , Blogger Madhura said...

cool yaar...u have really got some talent in there...cheers!!
i simply loved this one!
but please do explain why u named it 'the 40 winks story'...

 
At November 19, 2007 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Sameer said...

hey nice one!

 
At November 19, 2007 at 9:32 PM , Blogger ραŁŁαv said...

interestin...ur build up was quite surreal!!!
u r a gud writer...must say!!!

 
At November 20, 2007 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Sameer said...

arre jus came across while surfing.....from shantanu's blog to be precise....
i jus like readin blogs.....learning to write....so saw ur blog....yet to read other posts as xam is goin on....c ya...

 
At November 21, 2007 at 11:55 PM , Blogger busy-writer said...

wow.. u can beat RL Stine man! :)

this story had me hooked.. fab! the flow was awesome, vivid descriptions.. wow, perfect! :)

there is no way i aint blogrollin u now! :)

p.s-thnks for visitin my blog btw! :)

 
At November 22, 2007 at 8:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh imagination!

 
At November 23, 2007 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Amandeep Singh said...

Hey Manisha

Welcome back...:) ( Hell yeah I am blushing..;) )

So what ya waitin for? Make yer blog Alive!

I shall be waiting to read it !

:)

Cheers

 
At June 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM , Blogger Name said...

I have been reading your blog today. Don't ask how I got here. You haven't been blogging have you? I hope you are away writing a book. A best seller. Because. You. Are effing awesome! Kudos.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home